Monday, November 16, 2015

Walking Meditation and Health Care Ethics

Health care can be frantic. Emergency rooms, intensive care units, and surgical suites are obviously high paced, but so is "ordinary" hospital and outpatient care. In my busy days of practice I sometimes had 18 appointments in 10 hours. It's not surprising that clinicians report high levels of tension.

Tension can sharpen our focus, but when it's sustained over time it can lead to irritability and distraction. These create hazards to patient safety and contribute to burnout. That kind of tension is bad.

Insofar as the conditions of practice can be modified to reduce tension, doing what's needed and possible should obviously be done. But clinical practice inevitably brings tension. For our own sake and for the sake of our patients, we need to develop ways to chill out. As the late Ken Schwartz wrote in "A Patient's Story," "...in a high-volume setting, the high-pressure atmosphere tends to stifle a caregiver’s inherent compassion and humanity." To be truly effective caretakers, we need to cherish our capacity for "compassion and humanity"!

For some, meditation is a tremendously valuable tool!

Unfortunately, meditation is often thought of as a touchy-feely matter of sitting in an uncomfortable lotus position and chanting mantras. That view confuses external practice with the internal objective. If meditation is taken to mean sitting in a quiet space for 20 minutes or more to carry out the practice, not many health professionals will make use of it.

That's where walking meditation comes in. In hospitals, doctors and nurses typically walk a few miles - in short bursts - during a shift. In my outpatient practice I often walked from my office to classrooms where I taught and to meetings at the nearby hospitals. I could even take a few paces in the office between appointments. I tried to use these interludes as opportunities for meditation.

There are excellent on line guides to walking meditation. (See here, here and here for examples.) But no approach fits everyone. I found that the excellent descriptions of how to focus on body sensation and the experience of walking didn't work for me. My mind kept wandering to matters I was fretting about. That got me riled up, not settled down.

I recently found a technique that works well for me. I like to look around as I walk. Here's what I learned to do:
  1. Breathe in, and, at the same time focus my eyes on some aspect of the external world, as by saying "look at the trees," or "look at the clouds," or "look at the people."
  2. As in all forms of meditation, the aim is to experience the trees, clouds, people passing by, or some other focus, not to think about them.
  3. I found that for my obsessional nature, it helped to say numbers sequentially as I breathed out - one number for each cycle. That seems to help me stay with the experience rather than drifting off into ruminations. I also like to keep track of how long I can sustain the process before my mind gets filled with trivia.
I present my experience to make the point that it's kosher to develop an approach that works for us. Gurus can be helpful teachers, but the wise ones don't look for slavish followers. If walking meditation clicks for a person it can fit into the interstices of the day. Parents give children a "time out" for the child to regain some composure. Walking meditation has potential for potentially stressed out health professionals to create mini "time outs" for ourselves. When it works it serves us and our patients well! That's good ethics!



2 comments:

EastVailMom said...

The gift of this information is that it is practical, approachable, and can be started now. Thank you for sharing

Jim Sabin said...

Dear EastVailMom
I'm glad that you found the post useful. I've never been to Vail, but from what I've seen in photos, there are fabulous opportunities for walking in a meditative way.
Best
Jim