Thursday, December 1, 2011

Ethics of Physician Self-Disclosure

Shara Yurkiewicz, an enterprising second year student at Harvard Medical School, edited the December issue of the American Medical Association Journal of Ethics, an on-line publication targeted to medical students, residents and fellows. Shara developed a short case that raised questions about physician self-disclosure and asked me to comment on it. It's a fascinating part of clinical practice. You can read the piece here if you're interested.

Shara writes a great blog about her experiences at medical school. You can see it here.

P.S. I didn't choose the title ("Is Physician Self-Disclosure Ever Appropriate?"). It would seem nonsensical to argue that self-disclosure is never appropriate. The important questions are - when is it appropriate and how should we decide?

4 comments:

Shara said...

It was a pleasure working with you. I found myself nodding in agreement with all of your points (points that I hadn't even considered when I wrote the case). Thanks again so much for contributing.

(For the record, I didn't choose the title either!)

Jim Sabin said...

Hi Shara -

How nice to visit with you on the blog! Congratulations on your excellent editing of the AMA publication and for your excellent blog. I look forward to meeting you in person some day. And I look forward as well to continuing to read your blog and the other writings you produce in the future!

Best

Jim

Metrocare said...

Interesting article on this ethical issue, thanks for sharing.

Jim Sabin said...

I'm glad you found it interesting. When it's been a focus of teaching for me the issue always gets lots of engagement, whether from medical students, residents, or practicing physicians.