- Physicians shall not accept any gifts whatsoever
- Physicians (and their families) shall not accept any paid travel, whether for CME or any other purpose
- Physicians shall not accept any "hospitality" (such as hotel accomodations)
- Physicians shall not accept any cash payments whatsoever
- Any research funding must come through institutions, subject to a range of regulations
Rules are one thing and enforcement is another. It's not yet clear what the consequences of violation will be. But the Medical Council has put a strong stake in the ground, for which it deserves international recognition.
(For previous posts about pharmaceutical ethics in India see here, here, here and here. For Rema Nagarajan's article in the Times of India see here.)